recent posts

I had the most uninspired Chinese food the other n...

Just came across this on the New York Times websit...

Thinking about a hand I lost on the other night. ...

Really like my new Gmail account. Definitely goes...

Just received the following event announcement: "...

These things must be among the grossest creatures ...

Ok. Shit List jubilee for all those people and co...

Ok, I got the voodoo powers back online, but all t...

My carefully crafted template for this blog was ju...

Nicholas Kristof raises a good question in his col...

archives

Thursday, May 06, 2004
Just read the Seymour Hersh New Yorker article on the Abu Ghraib prison abuses. With the hooded prisoners in the photos, it's like the sequel to the Blair Witch Project -- disturbingly eerie and horrific. One M.P.'s testimony, quoted by Hersh:

I saw two naked detainees, one masturbating to another kneeling with its mouth open. I thought I should just get out of there. I didn�t think it was right . . . I saw SSG Frederick walking towards me, and he said, �Look what these animals do when you leave them alone for two seconds.� I heard PFC England shout out, �He�s getting hard.�

You get the impression that the male soldiers at the center of the scandal, Frederick and Graner (like Tom Delay), have serious sexuality issues.