recent posts

Just came across this on the New York Times websit...

Thinking about a hand I lost on the other night. ...

Really like my new Gmail account. Definitely goes...

Just received the following event announcement: "...

These things must be among the grossest creatures ...

Ok. Shit List jubilee for all those people and co...

Ok, I got the voodoo powers back online, but all t...

My carefully crafted template for this blog was ju...

Nicholas Kristof raises a good question in his col...

Continuing with the grandeur-that-was-Rome theme, ...

archives

Thursday, May 06, 2004
I had the most uninspired Chinese food the other night. It was surprising because the restaurant is in a very nice part of La Jolla and has been around for a while. But I should have been on my guard as soon as I walked in. They did not accept credit cards, the decor looked like it was lifted from a Chinese restaurant in an Elvis dream, and everyone in the place was white and over 60. Both the hot sour soup and the walnut chicken tasted like chicken pot pie. Bland but affordable. Made Pick Up Stix look like haute cuisine. The owners had obviously adapted the menu to all those cheapskate Midwesterners who had moved to La Jolla back in the 50s. The service was friendly enough, so no one's throwing around the "Shit List" word here. Just impeccably mediocre.