recent posts

I'm glad to see some blowback for NPR about the re...

It is gratifying to contemplate the economic crumb...

Ha! This just made my day: Where's George? Bill ...

In a recent New York Times column, Tom Friedman no...

Prince is looking sharp. But watch out, he could ...

Just came across a link to this map on a friend's ...

Tide won't get above 3' during daylight hours for ...

Skeptics say prove it. I say keep science out of ...

Dell's treated me pretty shabby lately and I'll ne...

Supermarkets, Grocery Clerks Reach Deal At last! ...

archives

Monday, April 05, 2004
In America, The Passion turned out to be a fundamentalist's Last Tango in Paris (or Showgirls), a rather prurient excuse for lurid voyeurism -- in this case, a bit of the old ultraviolence. This is where all the hand-wringing over Mel Gibson's movie becomes more relevant:

Gibson's 'The Passion' a Hit Among Arabs
AP - Mon Apr 5, 1:35 AM ET

Hanan Nsour, a veiled, 21-year-old Muslim in Jordan, came out of "The Passion of the Christ" in tears and pronounced her verdict: Mel Gibson's crucifixion epic " unmasked the Jews' lies and I hope that everybody, everywhere, turns against the Jews."