recent posts

It is gratifying to contemplate the economic crumb...

Ha! This just made my day: Where's George? Bill ...

In a recent New York Times column, Tom Friedman no...

Prince is looking sharp. But watch out, he could ...

Just came across a link to this map on a friend's ...

Tide won't get above 3' during daylight hours for ...

Skeptics say prove it. I say keep science out of ...

Dell's treated me pretty shabby lately and I'll ne...

Supermarkets, Grocery Clerks Reach Deal At last! ...

Strawberry Jesus : Taste the Passion

archives

Tuesday, March 30, 2004
I'm glad to see some blowback for NPR about the replacement of Bob Edwards:

"The announcement that Mr. Edwards would leave his anchor post, effective April 30, to take on a new assignment as a senior correspondent, and his statements that the move was not his idea, ignited widespread criticism. NPR, based in Washington, has received more than 17,000 calls and e-mail messages from angry listeners, its officials said. A Web site, savebobedwards.com, has generated close to 3,000 signatures."

-- New York Times, NPR Stations Had Pushed for Change

I admit that I sent one of those email messages, though I wasn't all that angry about it.

In fact, my reaction to the news was decidedly tempered by the discovery that NPR Morning Edition is "the No. 1 morning show on radio, with almost 13 million listeners."

Still, I've rather come to like the unhurried gravity of his voice -- though it probably does require my clock radio a couple minutes longer in rousing me from my sleep every morning than if I had the dial set to the local Jeff & Jer morning show. I hope, at the very least, they'll bring him back for those goofy imaginary Thanksgiving dinners they do every year on Thanksgiving.