recent posts

Surfed yesterday morning. Experienced first-hand ...

Johnny Cash is about the only person I can think o...

In honor of the second anniversary of 9/11, I repu...

My brother tells me that if you want to see some f...

Last Thursday, my friend Jackson and I went to the...

Just signed the MoveOn.org "Recall No! Democracy Y...

I knew something was up when Morning Becomes Eclec...

This tears it. Just saw the following article in ...

Those rat-bastards at NetBank are skating on thin ...

A link to the Introvertster site mentioned in last...

archives

Sunday, September 14, 2003
Article in this morning's New York Times about artists and musicians caught in the middle between fans and their labels by the new RIAA lawsuits. I was surprised to discover Louden Wainwright III aligned with Metallica as an outspoken proponent for the lawsuits. (Since I like Metallica's music less, I'll put them on the shit list as representatives of fan-hating performers everywhere.) Moby comes off as a voice of reason:

"The record companies should approach that 14-year-old and say: `Hey, it's great that you love music. Instead of downloading music for free, why don't you try this very inexpensive service that will enable you to listen to a lot of music and also have access to unreleased tracks and ticket discounts and free merchandise?'"

Eminem will stand up to Britney Spears. Will he stand up to his record label?