recent posts

Johnny Cash is about the only person I can think o...

In honor of the second anniversary of 9/11, I repu...

My brother tells me that if you want to see some f...

Last Thursday, my friend Jackson and I went to the...

Just signed the MoveOn.org "Recall No! Democracy Y...

I knew something was up when Morning Becomes Eclec...

This tears it. Just saw the following article in ...

Those rat-bastards at NetBank are skating on thin ...

A link to the Introvertster site mentioned in last...

A Friendster friend passed along the following art...

archives

Saturday, September 13, 2003
Surfed yesterday morning. Experienced first-hand the latest scum epidemic plaguing the San Diego shoreline. It's a heavy white froth -- presumably harmless -- that gathers at the waterline like the head on a Guinness. In the line-up, usually after a set wave, it's sometimes thick enough to skim off the surface and make a Santa beard with. I mentioned it to a biologist friend of mine at poker last night. She supposed it was the corpses of microorganisms -- the death rattle of the red tide that had been out in the waters the last few weeks.