recent posts

Ever since the first publication of the collected ...

Well, I'll be damned. Phone company makes good: ...

Back to basics : dealing with the phone company. ...

Well, what in effect turns out to be a tax on the ...

Bloody, bawdy villain! Remorseless, treacherous, ...

Howdy all. About the Tuesday post: Does this mean...

From a Reuters story about Neil Bush, the obligato...

Humanist Fallacy #10 :: Junket Critics Just as an...

Stiffing day-laborers. Does it get any lower? Je...

The hubris. I worked out at the gym on campus thi...

archives

Tuesday, December 23, 2003
I have nothing against weeds. But I've started a garden, so they go on the shit list. I don't do this with malice. It's not personal. They do what they were meant to do. But as Oscar Wilde says, the only link between art and nature is a well-made buttonhole. And no one has ever put groundsel in a buttonhole.

The author of one garden book said that her father wouldn't let her pick a weed as a child until she could name it. In the spirit of genocidal sportsmanship, I've adopted the same rule.

Weeds picked today: sowthistle, oxalis.