recent posts

Stop the presses! Just saw this on the LA Times' ...

Pet Lovers Irate About Governor's Idea for Strays ...

Gov. Arnold 6 Tomohiro 4 Mr. Governor, you have...

A Crowning at the Capital Creates a Stir As a shi...

It doesn't give me names or credit card numbers, b...

Child Prodigy Poet Dies of Muscular Dystrophy Mat...

Here's an interesting idea: NY Promoter Wants Spr...

Hey, I think I found my first disciple. (Or apost...

First day of summer in San Diego: drizzle. Over a...

The New Republic is still around? I figured they'...

archives

Sunday, June 27, 2004
Apparently, the years of reckless loans and mad speculation that have left the whole country on the brink of financial ruin and covered in concrete aren't enough. Japanese banks won't even accept your loose change. (Or have they simply learned their lesson?) A friend's tale:

More Joys of the Japanese Banking System

An excerpt:

Teller: How much do you wish to deposit?
Me: I have no idea. Can you count it please?
T: We can only deposit a known amount, otherwise you can claim to have been ripped off by the bank.
M: How can I claim to have been ripped off if I admit I have no idea how much money this is?
T: ...
M: OK, how about I write '2000 yen', then you count it and it's actually 5000 yen, so then I'll rewrite the -
T: If you write 2000 yen, we will count 2000 yen, deposit 2000 yen, and return the rest.
M: How about I write 10,000 yen, then you count it and it's actually 5000 ye-
T: If it does not total the amount you wrote, we cannot accept the deposit.
M: How about you just count it for me?
T: We do not provide money counting as a service.
M: How about you charge me 1% for such a service?
T: We do not provide money counting as a service. Japanese banks may choose to provide such a service...but Citibank does not.
M: Citibank is not a Japanese bank?
T: ...
M: You have been, as expected, most unhelpful.
T: Thank you for choosing Citibank.