recent posts

Forgot to shut a window in my apartment last night...

Yeah, fuck you, rhinovirus. I came down with a co...

I saw it! Finally, I saw it! The bioluminescence...

A couple days ago I forwarded the Tom Friedman col...

Ok, I've got to blow off some steam. Back when I ...

Eucalyptus trees, I've realized since moving into ...

Can Arnold Schwarzenegger and California's environ...

ARNOLD WINS! A new blockbuster in demagoguery. W...

Vote no on the recall tomorrow! And no on prop....

A not quite couple-weeks-old Salon article on the ...

archives

Tuesday, October 28, 2003
I biked over to campus this afternoon. I've never seen it so desolate. Library and food court closed. Solitary figures walking here and there. Fine ash gathering in corners and along the edge of flowerbeds. A real post-apocalyptic feel to it, especially with the orangish overcast sky and the sun glowering in the sky like a red moon.

The marine layer moved in around the middle of the day today, mingled with all the smoke from the fires, and it was twilight by 2:30pm. Every day brings a new permutation on the surreal. Today, a kind of Twilight Zone-in-Jakarta atmosphere prevailing.

School cancelled at UCSD for third straight day tomorrow.