recent posts

A couple days ago I forwarded the Tom Friedman col...

Ok, I've got to blow off some steam. Back when I ...

Eucalyptus trees, I've realized since moving into ...

Can Arnold Schwarzenegger and California's environ...

ARNOLD WINS! A new blockbuster in demagoguery. W...

Vote no on the recall tomorrow! And no on prop....

A not quite couple-weeks-old Salon article on the ...

The LA Times served up a twitchy piece of three-ey...

Well, my vote was wasted. True, Huffington wasn't...

SITEMETER LOG: usdoj.gov Sep 28 2003 4:43:44 am A...

archives

Sunday, October 19, 2003
I saw it! Finally, I saw it! The bioluminescence of the red tide at night. I realize now that I had actually seen it a couple times recently when I had checked out the ocean at night. I just hadn't recognized it. But tonight it was a little stronger. As the waves broke, the white water would glow a lurid pale green for a moment, then quickly fade to dingy white. It looked as if someone had flashed headlights on the whitewash for a moment, and I guess that's how I had been interpreting it -- as if the waves were catching the moonlight just as they crested and broke. In fact, that was an illusion, and it was the red tide, sparking under the agitation, which turned the whitewater a subtle, ghostly green.