recent posts

9pm naps are never a good idea.

I got home this evening and opened my mailbox to f...

Quite a news day: "Study: U. of Colorado No. 1 Pa...

Not a big Phish fan. But still shocked and bewild...

Came across this story on the AP wire: > SOUTH WI...

Ok. ATT is off the enemies list. But they're not...

Itinerant aesthete, Big Mack, emails me this weeke...

Yeah, this cat knows what I'm talking about.

Jesus Fucking Christ. Who is Cat Power and did yo...

Hey, I just realized that this was Propellerhead's...

archives

Thursday, August 21, 2003
My email program, Outlook Express (ver. 5.5.) started acting up today. When displaying messages in the preview window, bitch-face doesn't show the text of the message. Rather it indicates an attachment. When I double click the message, it shows the messages as a .txt file attachment, which I can then open.

Someone on the OE 5.5 newsgroup pointed me to the solution (newsgroups, along with the open source community, sometimes restore my faith in humanity) :

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312351

Following the instructions, I opened up the Temp folder in the my Windows folder and found over 20,000 objects (almost 400 mb!) I'm some kind of goddamned freak-ass cyber-shut-in! I tried to delete all 20,000+ files at once -- seized up my machine. Just deleted 4,000 files -- between deleting them in the explorer and cleaning them out of my recycle bin, took me almost a half-hour! Hold my calls. This is going to be a major, on-going operation -- I think the troops may get out of Bhagdad before I'm done here. It did, however, solve my OE problem.