recent posts

The Secret to Clay Aiken's Success?

Voted

Bizarro Voter's Guide

Voting In Progress

Blogit

Absentee Absentee Ballot

Adam Sandler Covering "Werewolves of London"

Dead and Buried

Rocking the Suburbs

Still Fucking Undecided?

archives

Tuesday, November 02, 2004
"The Poor Voter on Election Day"
John Greenleaf Whittier

To-day, of all the weary year,
A king of men am I.
To-day, alike are great and small,
The nameless and the known;
My palace is the people's hall,
The ballot-box my throne!
The rich is level with the poor,
The weak is strong to-day;
And sleekest broadcloth counts no more
Than homespun frock of gray.
To-day let pomp and vain pretence
My stubborn right abide;
I set a plain man's common sense
Against the pedant's pride.
The wide world has not wealth to buy
The power in my right hand!

When I'm honest with myself, my vote probably could have bought by the Bush campaign for about $10,000. Not in the form of bullshit ads featuring wolves, mendacious swift boat veterans, or the children of dead soldiers, but with a cashier's check.