recent posts

Blogit

Absentee Absentee Ballot

Adam Sandler Covering "Werewolves of London"

Dead and Buried

Rocking the Suburbs

Still Fucking Undecided?

Et tu, U2?

Church People

Propositioned

Non-Partisan Voting Guide

archives

Sunday, October 31, 2004
Voting In Progress
Finally got my absentee ballot in the mail yesterday -- just in time not to be able to mail it back in time.

Also got the following email:

From: Robledo, Cheri
To: tidokoro@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:52 -0700
Subject: Absentee Ballot


-----Original Message-----
From: Tomohiro Idokoro [mailto:tidokoro@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 10:57 AM
To: CSG, ROVMAIL
Subject: Absentee Ballot

I am currently registered to vote in San Diego County, but I moved to
Orange County earlier this month and did not have time to re-register
before the registration deadline. Last week I contacted your office
(twice) to request an absentee ballot. I was told I would receive one
by early this week. I have not yet received it and I have not gotten
any response indicating that the ballot has even been sent.

I fear now that it may be too late for me to return the ballot in time
even if I did receive it. As you can imagine, this is very
disappointing, given the importance of this election.

I've attached the letter I faxed in last week.

One other note: your website does not function with the Mozilla browser.

Tomohiro Idokoro


Is that all you have to say for yourself?

On the one hand, I'm inclined to say this woman probably has the worst job in the world right now. And I should accept the fact that she was even able to hit the reply and send buttons to my email as a small victory.

On the other hand, this is why they call you a public servant. And this is the kind of thing that gives government a bad and makes a folk hero out of people like that moron Howard Jarvis.

I'm going to just mail my ballot first thing tomorrow. If the post office does it part, my ballot should get to the San Diego Registrar's office in time on Tuesday. Of course, that doesn't give me much time to actually inform myself on all the ballot propositions. I was going to use Moveon.org's CA voter's guide as my "template", but I can't find it. (Someone emailed it to me this week.) So I'll have to follow the California League of Conservation Voters. Which I just discovered doesn't cover all the ballot measures.

Democracy: what a nuisance.