recent posts

A friendly elderly man in a blue blazer identifyi...

I was listening to the radio in my car today and I...

Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger made it official : the...

Oh yeah, Internet Explorer is on the shit list. I...

Around 4am this last Saturday morning, I was abrup...

To contact the property management company as a "F...

Last Saturday, my dad received a letter from his h...

I just checked my credit card account online -- st...

In Las Vegas last week. First time. Had to use p...

archives

Friday, August 08, 2003
Saw "Swimming Pool" (starring Charlotte Rampling) last night. A mostly interesting sequence of marginally related events. Surprised Anthony Lane did not write The New Yorker review -- seemed like his kind of movie.

Charlotte Rampling gives another outstanding performance, this time as an uptight mystery writer who accepts an offer from her publisher to use his house in the South of France for some inspiration. When his sexy daughter (the luscious Ludivine Sagnier) shows up uninvited, a slow-burning and deliberately abstract mystery is set in motion. The director Fran�ois Ozon (who�s worked with Rampling before, in the very similar �Under the Sand�) crafts a seductive puzzle that may have audiences wondering, in a pleasant way, what it was that they have just seen. In French and English.�B.D. (East 86th Street Cinemas, First & 62nd Cinemas, Lincoln Plaza Cinemas, 19th Street East 6, and Sunshine Cinema.)

As for the much bruited ending, as far as I could tell : camera tricks.