recent posts

Bongs for Geeks

Observation on the Super Bowl Halftime Show

I HATE HP TECH SUPPORT

My Feedburner Feed

The Google Query Bomb

Weapons of Mass Disruption

New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest Winner

If the Stones had cut "Street Fighting Man" today,...

Crack for Geeks

Fed-Ex Delivery Guy in a Surly Mood This Morning

archives

Tuesday, February 08, 2005
Advice on Spamming Your Family and Friends
Spamming your friends and loved ones -- is there anything lower?

So I get a Friendster message this last week from someone I used to work with. Haven't heard from her for years. Says she stumbled across my profile, asks how it's going, etc. So I reply saying what a pleasant surprise, good to hear from you, give her a brief rundown on the last 5 years of my life, and include my personal email address.

This morning, I find this in my inbox:

Hello!

I hope this e-mail finds you having a Happy New Year so far! After spending a few months at Hardin Honda in Anaheim, I?ve made a jump to Honda World in Orange County. Not only is Honda World closer to my home, but it also has been Orange County's #1 Volume Honda Dealer for 16 straight years! Talk about opportunities for career growth!

My schedule varies week to week, but I?d love to get together sometime to catch up. Also, if you know anyone who is in the market for a Honda, please refer them to me directly. I appreciate any referrals and like to reward my friends for any referral business I may receive.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Best regards,

Janet

Internet Sales Manager jtanasugarn@ochondaworld.com

Honda World
13600 Beach Blvd.
Westminster, CA 92683
714.890.8990 direct line

714.655.5768 cell
714.373.1533 fax


Look, I know you got cars to sell. We've all got product to move. But a few pointers:

First of all, reply to my personal message before you start blasting me with your junk mail.

Secondly, come up with a macro that at least inserts something like this at the beginning of your message:

"Hey {Friend's name here},"

Third, go easy on the sell. How about:

"Good to hear from you. Did I tell you that I moved to Hardin Honda? A lot better than my old job. By the way, if you know anyone who's looking for a Honda, blah, blah, blah..."

Finally, I can't believe she really used the line:

"Talk about opportunities for career growth!"

Anyway, if you're looking for a deal on a Honda, feel free to contact her. j.tanasugarn@uclalumni.net