recent posts

By Excommunicating Nun, Diocese of Phoenix Tacitly...

803-445-5261

The Verizon Discredible

USA Term Papers

406-224-9157

804-234-9105

208-321-6554

Debtcor, Inc.

864-221-3707

713-541-4180

archives

Monday, May 24, 2010
Craigslist Apartment Rental Scam
I posted to the Apartments Wanted board of my local Craigslist. I got the following response today, which I'm pretty sure is a scam:



Why do I think it's a scam?
1. It came from nlsnbe543@gmail.com, but the reply went to rykardted@gmail.com.
2. No details from my message referenced. In fact, I am looking for a 1-BR, which I made clear in my post.
3. Degree in London: a good commonwealth reference that can be used in many different contexts.
4. Generic apartment details with no actual address.
5. Who the hell leases an apartment after they've moved halfway across the world?

My response:


Because I replied, my guess is that the scammer will now look up my Craigslist post and find an address in the area where I am looking and say they need me to wire them a deposit.


Update (Mon, May 24, 4:18pm)


Ok, just got the following response from "Rose":



$500 for a two-bedroom? In Orange County? $1500 would be closer to credible. "looking forward to read from you"? You're supposed to be a university student, dipshit. "Cheers"? You're supposed to be an American, idiot. They don't say "cheers." I smell a Nigerian.

It includes 4 photos, which I'm sure I've seen in another Craigslist ad. Here's one:



My response:




Update (Tue, May 25, 7:21pm)


Another email from Rose is a Rose is a Rose:


And my reply:


Who will spring his trap first? Stay tuned...

Update (Fri, May 28, 7:45pm)


Ok, more back and forth:

Notice they're too lazy to even bother to address me by name:


My reply:


Latest from Rose:


So we approach the moment of maximum tension. I need a Money Transfer Control Number. Maybe the /r/ board can help.
Blogger Unknown comments:
yea thats scam , hate them priks . would like to kick them in the head for that !
Blogger ubernatural comments:
Thanks for that. I found the same guy posting in Rotterdam. Using your post, I responded after email #2 with this:

Hello,

Good to hear from you. Am satisfied with details of apartment and am willing to offer you my relevant details. Concerning those details, it is customary in North America before releasing details of this nature to request an information security deposit. In this manner i will suggest you will have to make an information security deposit of $750 before i can release my personal details. The reason is that there are people who are try to rent apartment but only have interest in scamming people. Once you are able to make the deposit, the personal information will be emailed to you as soon as possible. I will be looking forward to read from you in other for me to give you the western union money transfer details you will use in making the deposit. After you send me the information security deposit I will send you the Name and Address where you can send the apartment keys and the documents.

Looking forward to read from you too.
Blogger Szilveszter comments:
Indeed, I got the exact same letter for a flat in Rotterdam, exact same pictures for 500 Euros...
Was starting to get suspicious, but good thing I found this site, at least I won't waste any more time on this option...
Blogger Unknown comments:
The fecking baaastard is doing the same over here in Ireland, he posted it on gumtree "city centre newly refurbished apt, 700e per month for a two bed, which is dirt cheap for Dublin city centre!!! Guna keep emailing him see if i can get something and then trace the fucker down!!! In the words on Liam Neeson
I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop scamming now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.”